This question is very important especially if you are one of those who is taking cheap driving lessons.
How many hours of professional instructor tuition will I need before I'm ready for the UK driving test and pass? This is the second most common question I get asked as a DVSA qualified driving instructor operating in London.
It is not possible for an instructor to answer this question, how many driving lessons for test varies, as every individual is different when it comes to learning to drive. Here are a few facts that you should bear in mind when thinking about how many hours or driving lessons you need to pass your driving test.
1. The Driving Standards Agency (DVSA) which conducts the UK driving test recommends an average of 45 hours with about 22 hours of private practice.
2. Your driving age is a determining factor, the younger you are, the quicker you learn, the fewer driving lessons you'll need, on the other hand an elderly learner will need more lessons to be prepared for the test.
3. Previous experience also needs to be taken into account, a learner who rides a motorbike will have more road knowledge than someone the same age who has no previous experience on the road and is thus more likely to be ready for the driving test earlier, and thus requires fewer driving lessons for test.
4. You need to be consistent with your learning. Many people have a few driving lessons, take a 6-month break, find another instructor have some more lessons, expecting to just continue from where they left off. This will not work, learning to drive is about building a habit, and you need to be consistent with your lessons which is why I always advise those wanting to learn to drive to save up or budget the money for their lessons so that they can be consistent and not have to re-learn old skills that have been forgotten due to long breaks in between driving lessons.
5. Use the time in between driving lessons productively. If you haven't passed your theory test continually study your books and the Highway Code. If you have passed the theory test, make sure you still read the highway code at least. You can never have too much knowledge, and it is important that you don't forget all you learnt for the theory test as any gaps in your knowledge will reflect on your driving.
So back to the original question how many driving lessons will I need to pass my driving test?
Here is a formula to give you a ROUGH idea of how many lessons with an approved driving instructor you MIGHT need before you are ready for the driving test.
Hours = Your Age X 1.5
Please note that the above-mentioned information applies to learner drivers in the UK. If you are in the US, then you need to check with your local Driver Education instructor or a DMV office for advice if a provisional license holder, as requirements differ from state to state, and what holds in Califonia may be inadequate in Michigan.
More Reading for Learner Drivers
How many driving lessons before I start maneuvers?
Using the Driver's Record to know when you are test ready.
Advice on Choosing a driving instructor.
Pass Plus scheme for new drivers.
Provisional driving licence dont drive alone!
So how many driving lessons for your driving test? Take as many as would give you enough experience to keep you safe after you get the licence!
Free Driving Lesson Sept 16th 2009.
Subscribe to Driving Test Tips so you don't miss any future articles or get updates direct to your inbox by Email.
How many lessons before starting manuevers?
Driving Lessons in Borehamwood.