Recently I have been getting a lot of queries about penalty points on the UK provisional licence and how it affects their ability to take the UK driving test.
First of all I'm amazed at the number of learner drivers who have points on their provisional licenses, and I begin to wonder what their supervising drivers where doing (or maybe they were not being supervised)! You should be aware that if you are supervising a learner driver, and he/she breaks the law, that you could also be prosecuted for aiding and abetting.
Back to the question about points on provisional licenses and the driving test, here are some facts you need to know.
1. Any points added to your provisional license will stay on for a minimum of 4 years.
2. There is no driving course or any other means of getting points removed or taken off your license, they can only be removed after the statutory time has expired.
3. Points are not automatically removed from provisional licenses, you have to apply to the DVLA and pay a fee for the points to be removed.
4. Points on your license will not stop you from taking the driving test, but if you have more than 6 points on your provisional license, then your license will be revoked under the new driver act! Your pass certificate along with your provisional license will be sent to the DVLA, and you will get a letter back advising that you are once again a learner and need to pass the driving test again.
5. 12 points or more on any UK driving license means a ban, though there are a few solicitors companies that can help you avoid losing your licence depending on your individual circumstances.
6. Points on driving license usually results in higher insurance premiums
So for all you provisional driving license holders out there, drive carefully, don't break the law otherwise it is going to cost you in time and money to get your full driving license.
Looking for cheap driving lessons to get a full British licence.
Driving without car insurance
If you live or work in NW London and need manual driving lessons in the Mill Hill or Hendon Test Centre areas, call me on 07956233032