Penalty points I wasn't driving car

If a car is caught by a police enforcement camera commiting a traffic offence (failing to stop at a red light or breaking the speed limit), the penalty points will usually be applied to the driving licence of the registered keeper of the vehicle involved (the DVLA will be contacted for your details).

If you as the registered keeper was not driving the car at the time the incident occured, then you need to inform the police who the driver was by supplying the full name and address of the individual (or a police report crime reference number if it was stolen or taken without your consent TWOC). If this was a provisional licence holder that you were supervising at the time, then there is a possibility that you could also be penelaised for abetting the offence as well, so you need to be very attentive and take your supervising reponsibilies very serious.

It is for this reason that you can't legally supervise a provisional driving licence holder if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

If you require high quality driving lessons in Mill Hill from a very helpful, patient and fully qualified instructor, then why not call or send me a text message on 07956233032.

If the recent TV adverts by the red driving school have got you thinking about becoming an instructor, did you know that there are other instructor driver training options available to you?

More reading
Banned withn 2 years of passing test
Driving licence ban.
Driving without vehicle insurance

Subscribe to my Driving Test Tips so you don't miss any future articles and get DSA updates direct to your inbox by Email, this service is provided and powered by feedburner, so I don't personally keep your email addresses, and you can removed yourself anytime after passing the driving test with just one mouse click.


  1. Anonymous9:52 am

    what happens if its your car, you were driving, but you hold a foreign licence?

  2. Anonymous11:14 am

    If you were driving the vehicle, and it is registered in your name, then the points will be added to your UK provisional licence.

    If you haven't applied for a provisional licence, then the offence will be kept on record, and added when you do, after all you can legally only drive in the UK for one year after that you need to either exchange your foreign document for a UK one (if from a country that this is allowed) or take and pass the UK test if not exchangeable.

    What ever the case, details of your car will be added to the ANPR database with the offence if you don't have a provisional licenc, so you can't get away with it!




eXTReMe Tracker